Saturday 18 March 2017

Trapped - Fate, Survival & Life


Vikramaditya Motwane's 'Trapped' is a fantastic film. This is the film might no one would have seen in Hindi Cinema. It has got so much applaud at various film festivals and now has come home. There is nothing in the film, which is unbelievable. It could be with any of us, whatever happened to the protagonist. But to come out from that situation is a very big thing and inspirational. That's why I really liked the film. What would you do if you get stuck in high rise building without basic necessities? What would you do if you're all alone & trapped there? You just have to ask for help; which might not even come. This is the main theme or story. Don't worry; I'm not writing film spoilers. This is the thing we know from the trailer. 

Shaurya (Rajkummar Rao) is trapped inside his flat & get locked inside by mistake. Shaurya tries every possible way out to open that door. But just can't get success initially. It's not like that you're gonna cry or gonna feel emotional, but you'll feel his frustration and tension. When Ranveer Singh said after watching the film that he couldn't watch properly because he said he was at the edge of the seat. I thought it can't be; but when I watched the film, I was at the edge of the seat and worrying and thinking about him! I was kept thinking about him that what would happen. At one point in the film; I was literally praying for his character to be safe. I was counting days initially, that how many days he stayed in the flat since he's trapped. But after point I stopped counting. I couldn't even concentrate proper.



The biggest irony is Shaurya means bravery. But in his situation everyone would be coward. Some of the people in theater were laughing initially on his actions, some of them were calling him stupid, but after one point everyone was quiet. They might would have felt his situation too. The other irony is the flat Shaurya gets trapped is named Swarg Apartment, which means Heaven, but it's literally hell for him.

The 103 minutes film has hardly 20-30 lines of dialogues I think... The most beautiful thing inside this film is silence. At one point it rains, Shaurya hasn't drank water since past 4 or 5 days and those rain drops are his hope. The climax scene between Shaurya (Rajkummar Rao) & Noorie (Geetanjali Thapa) is so fantastic, without uttering a word, both characters understand each other and we get what they want to convey. The film has two beautiful songs. The background score of the film is just too good. At his high time Shaurya reminds himself that he can't die there; he won't. He motivates himself that he has so much to do in life. He talks to himself about those things. And it's the biggest life lesson that Vikramaditya Motwane has taught us. However tough or worse the situation is, just keep going. Most of us are trapped in our lives, so many people don't like their lives, but we all have to just keep going. There will be good time you would be waiting, it will one day for sure. (Maybe the other building Shaurya can see from his flat is having a name Sunshine, which indicates this thing too.) In which theater I saw the film, they cut somewhere and provided interval in between and I was so furious; because this was supposed to be no interval film. The director said it was kept like that so audience can connect to his character.



There are so many survival dramas in Hollywood. Some examples are '127 Hours' ; 'Cast Away' ; 'Life of Pi' ; etc. I've not seen any of these. But now I'll watch them. I've seen 'Wild' & 'Into the Wild'. But they're little bit different. 'Trapped' creates tension, will keep on you edge of the seat, will let you feel the situation. Some people were talking about box office collection, or the whatever hit or flop or anything. But this film is beyond all those things. Rajkummar Rao has delivered a terrific performance. Vikramaditya Motwane has used very few equipments and probably budget wouldn't even be high. But he has created a masterclass cinema. 




P.S. - I usually write in Gujarati, I don't write in English. I've written in English after a very long time, so pardon my errors. I think that this film should reach to more audience, that's why I wrote in English, because this film is too special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment